Shame- Jasvinder Sanghera ***** (an update)

I read this book a year ago, see the original post here.

I don't feel I truly did this book justice with this review originally. I didn't want to over analyse it, or babble, and I ended up not saying enough.

This book has changed my outlook on the world at large. I've never thought of myself as a feminist, and I've never really focused on the fact that I am a woman in the world. But this book inspired me to read about women in other countries, with lives less fortunate than my own. It made me think about what it is to be a woman in a western country with little prejudice. We talk about the glass ceiling in the workplace and lack of paid maternity leave, but at the end of the day, we're treated with dignity and respect at all times (no when you're gyrating on a table in a haze of tequila induced "Sexyness" it doesn't count that you're not being respected).

I won't say that I've gone native and joined a commune, or that I ran off and joined Greenpeace, but I'm so much more aware than my middle class upbringing afforded me, than before I read it.
There is a whole different world that exists outside western culture, but I think we're all so comfortable we try to pretend it doesn't exist. I don't know if selling all my worldly possessions and moving to Africa is the solution, I don't know if donating 10% of my income to charity is the answer. How do we help in a meaningful way?

1 kindred spirits ~ This bugs them too!:

.:.:. Reanan .:.:. said...
May 01, 2008 4:49 PM

I was quite moved by the book myself, although I have not read any others about honour killings/arranged marraiges.

The answer may not be donating your paycheck (although it does help if going to the right place! lol) but to be less ignorant. There is no other word for it but Ignorant, and ignorance many be bliss but better still is knowing how good we have things and be empathetic.

And totally off the subject, I think the image of feminism needs a jolly good kick up the arse.
Whats wrong with feminism? Feminist are seen typically seen as bra burning lesbians, I have grown to loath the expression 'Im not a feminist but I do think that woman should get equal pay as men' WHAT DO YOU THINK WOMANS LIB WAS? ARGH
Thank goodness early femininists like... oh say suffragettes decided that they wanted to own it!
... here endeth the rant.
Oh and I like to have sex with men and wear a bra.

Leave a Comment

Hey its a free country!
You can say what you like, it need not even be totally relevant, and feel free to argue the point with me.
Disclaimer:This is my blog, and I am a delicate flower, so be constructive and don't insult me for the sake of it

Back to Home Back to Top You know what bugs me....... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.